The difference between court-ordered child support and CSSD

On Behalf of | Dec 29, 2021 | Child Support |

Alaska has a Child Support Service Division, or CSSD, that has the power to order child support payments as well as enforce them. A judge also has authority to make this kind of decision.

Which has more authority?

Both types of child support orders hold authority. If you were to receive two different orders, then the court-ordered child support has more authority. In divorce cases, the judge must make a decision on child support. CSSD is there when parents don’t officially divorce, and one of them needs financial assistance for raising their child. You could file a request with the CSSD first before going to court for a child custody case in order to receive financial assistance while waiting on the court’s process.

How to modify a child support order

Regardless of which type of child support order you have, in order to request a modification, certain circumstances must apply. One instance in which you could request a modification is if you or the other parent had a decrease or increase in income by at least 15%. Parents who pay child support could reduce how much they must pay if their income decreased by 15% or more.

If your child’s medical expenses or education expenses have gone up, you may be able to get more child support assuming that the other parent has the ability to pay. A relevant change in the child custody plan is another reason you may ask the court or CSSD to modify child support payments. You should file a Motion to Modify with the court or file a Request for Modification with CSSD. Where you file depends on what type of child support order you’re under.

There isn’t much of a difference between CSSD and court-ordered child support. However, CSSD could allow you to receive child support before going through the court process.

Contact Form

Contact The Firm

The Law Offices of Herbert M. Pearce

The Law Offices of Herbert M. Pearce
731 I Street Suite 203
Anchorage, AK 99501

Local: 907-276-0113
Toll-Free: 800-579-4214
Fax: 907-258-1232
Anchorage Office