Here’s what you can do if your spouse doesn’t want a divorce

On Behalf of | Nov 28, 2022 | Divorce |

It can be a difficult situation when one spouse wants a divorce but the other doesn’t in Alaska. You may feel like you are stuck in limbo, not knowing what to do or how to make things right. The good news is that there are steps you can take to have a desirable outcome.

Find out whether your spouse understands you

Having an open and honest conversation with your spouse can help them understand why you have decided to pursue a divorce. This can be difficult, but understanding and acknowledging both parties’ feelings is essential in order to move forward. For instance, you might explain that although the two of you care deeply for each other, it’s time to move on and start fresh.

Talk to a neutral third party

Sometimes having a neutral third party present can help make discussions easier. Consider talking with a professional counselor or mediator who may be able to offer advice and provide guidance throughout the process.

Give it time

It’s important to make sure that both parties are able to come to an agreement and be on the same page with regard to the divorce. Taking some time apart can help clear your head and give you the chance to think over all of the facts before making a final decision. This also gives your spouse time to process the situation and consider their feelings.

File a petition for divorce

When you and your spouse are ready, filing a petition for divorce is the next step. This paperwork will outline all of the details about the divorce including who will get which assets and how child custody issues will be handled. Once both parties have signed the documents, it’s time to make it official in court.

No matter what the situation, it’s important to remember that you always have options when it comes to divorce. It can be a difficult and emotional process, but understanding what steps to take can help make things go as smoothly as possible.

Contact Form

Contact The Firm

The Law Offices of Herbert M. Pearce

The Law Offices of Herbert M. Pearce
731 I Street Suite 203
Anchorage, AK 99501

Local: 907-276-0113
Toll-Free: 800-579-4214
Fax: 907-258-1232
Anchorage Office