How Alaskan conservatorships and guardianships differ

On Behalf of | Mar 9, 2022 | Family Law |

Regarding family law in Alaska, it’s easy to confuse guardianships and conservatorships. Achieving the milestones you’ve set, however, calls for a distinction between the two. Overall, one is ideally for young children who are without parents. The other is a provision for adults who are unable to make decisions for themselves. These are then assigned someone to handle their daily affairs.

What is a guardian?

Family law allows for authorized people to become the legal caregivers of someone else’s children. These children might be a part of the family, but their parents have either died or lost their rights to care for their own. Guardianships, however, aren’t indefinite. A child who is assigned a guardian is released from them once they turn their legal age. During the time with the guardian, the child will have their education, health and daily life managed by the guardian.

What is a conservator?

In family law, a conservator is someone who manages the personal finances of another. The conservator will grant or deny money to their clients. Overall, conservatorships come about through extreme circumstances. These conditions require that a judge decides on whether someone is incapable or not. Individuals who’ve abused their money or are recovering from personal issues are often ideal for this type of arrangement.

Family law in Alaska

Though temporary, it can be of great service when an adult facing hard times receives the help of a conservatorship. These cases don’t have to remain indefinite, but the adult must show that they’ve regained their financial competency. In the case of a child, having someone with the experience to care for them could ensure a happy, full life.

Contact Form

Contact The Firm

The Law Offices of Herbert M. Pearce

The Law Offices of Herbert M. Pearce
731 I Street Suite 203
Anchorage, AK 99501

Local: 907-276-0113
Toll-Free: 800-579-4214
Fax: 907-258-1232
Anchorage Office